Tuesday, October 5, 2010

WWJD?



This message is something that I think everyone needs to hear. I don't want this to turn into a political debate, but in case you were wondering, this is where I stand on gay rights.....

I believe that marriage is sacred between a man and woman and this union is ordained of God. HOWEVER, I ALSO believe that I, being an insignificant human being, have NO RIGHT to tell someone who they can and cannot love. I believe God has the right, but I do not. I sincerely hope that my views do not go against that of the church. It is for that reason that I refuse to vote on gay issues. I do not want to go against the church, nor do I want to pretend like I am superior to others by telling them what they can and can not do with their lives. I feel like voting against gay marriage is voting against agency. Sorry, that's how I feel folks.

I have quite a few friends who have same gender attraction, some have acted on it, some have not. But guess what guys? They are still the same people, they are still some of my best friends whom I love very very much. News flash: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO AGREE WITH THEM TO BE FRIENDS WITH THEM!!!

This bullying thing has gotten completely out of hand. What is terrible is that most of the people doing the bullying come from RELIGIOUS families who teach that being gay is wrong. And maybe it is. But I don't care what you teach your children as long as you are teaching them to love EVERYONE and be nice to EVERYONE! Whatever happened to "What would Jesus do?" Maybe it is time we ask ourselves this question once again.

Last week at stake conference my stake president said, "I think this world has replaced love with tolerance." I couldn't agree more. We no longer love our neighbors. We tolerate them.

2 comments:

Kelsey Fairbanks said...

I'm so glad you agree. I have a hard time with this issue in the church because they teach against it- yet they want everyone to be good "christians" and good "latter day saints"... well there's nothing 'saintly' about bully others. It's a huge deal.

Shilah said...

Absolutely everyone deserves to be treated with respect, love and dignity. Period. That is the Churchs stance, anyone who is a bigot in the name of religon is foolish. Even if we believe certian behaviors are wrong.

Jesus said "He that without sin cast the first stone" and he also said, "Love one another"

The Divine Calling of Motherhood

It's late. I need to be in bed right now, but the pull to write is stronger than the pull of my night time meds, so .... here I am. T...