Thursday, December 12, 2013

Crash!

Tuesday night as I was leaving work I got a text from Justin telling me to drive safe cause the roads were really bad. He wasn't kidding.  The whole way home I was driving at least ten under the speed limit- which is a big deal for me and should give you a clue as to just how bad the roads were. I was driving on 600 West and was just coming to the curve in the road by the furniture warehouse when a van coming in the opposite direction hit ice and plowed right into the drivers side of my car. It happened so fast that I didn't have time to think about swerving at all. Later the cop told me it was a good thing that I didn't swerve cause if I had I probably would have ended up wrapped around a telephone pole. So anyway, I had never been in a serious car accident before so I called up Justin and asked him to come be with me. My hands were shaking so badly I knew my body was going through shock. We called the cops but they said there had been 20 accidents already that night so they would get to us when they could. I could tell my back, neck, and shoulders were stiff and sore but other than that I felt fine. The cop came and took pictures and our statements and then we were free to go.

The next morning I woke up with a splitting headache. The whole left side of my temple felt bruised. That morning we went to the Allstate, the mechanic, and the car rental place, and my head just kept getting worse the entire time. It was time to go to the emergency room. They scanned my head and determined that I had gotten a concussion during the accident. I don't even remember hitting my head but the doctor told me that my adrenaline after the crash had probably covered my head pain and that's why I didn't feel it until the next morning.  He gave me three different prescriptions but told me that the best medicine for a concussion was time. I've had to call in sick to work every day this week and have pretty much been a walking zombie. On Wednesday I went to bed at 5 pm and did not wake up until 8 am the next morning. It had been a long, sucky week and I am more than ready for this pounding headache, dizziness, and loopyness to go away. I had no idea concussions hurt this bad and for this long. Maybe I am just a big bawl baby but....... Ouch! 

1 comment:

Meghan said...

BOO! I'm so sorry for you. I hate driving in the snow and this is why! Scares the poop out of me.

I got in a similar crash back in college, where it was the other cars fault and I ended up with a neck brace and whiplash. So I sort of feel your pain.

Get feeling better! And that feeling of cringing every time a car passes you in icy weather from here on out? It will get better...

The Divine Calling of Motherhood

It's late. I need to be in bed right now, but the pull to write is stronger than the pull of my night time meds, so .... here I am. T...