Sunday, January 24, 2016

Jesus Wants me for a Sunbeam

As some of you may know, Justin and I were called to be the Sunbeams teachers in Primary in our church. I was really excited (and nervous) for this calling because 1. It would help me get back to church 2. I have never been in primary but have always wanted to and 3. I am really rusty on my primary songs so I love re-learning them all again!

So I just want to share my first day as the Sunbeams teacher. I am going to change the kids names however since they are not my children and do not want any upset parents or anything. On the class list we have six kids, but so far only three little girls have come- Amy, Carlie, and Kylie (haha can you tell they are made up names? hee-hee).

I walk into primary that day and sit in my chair next to Amy. I learned Amy's name really quickly. You could tell that it was probably nap time because at one point all three of them were laying down across the chairs. The biggest struggle in the primary room is getting them to stay seated upright in their chairs, and facing forward. I turned my back for two seconds and when I looked around Amy was two rows behind me sitting with the big kids. Luckily the other teachers helped me reign Amy in. Other than that though, they did awesome.

And then we go to our classroom. And Kylie had a complete sobbing meltdown. She opened the door and bolted out so I had to chase her down the hall, but she got to her Daddy before I could catch up to her so he came and sat with her in our class for a few minutes. While we were doing the Plan of Salvation puzzle he slipped out. When she finally noticed that he was gone she said, "This was my Daddy's chair. He was in here because I was crying. I was crying because I was scared of you. (referring to Justin.) But I don't know why I was scared of you, you seem like a nice boy." hahaha from the mouth of babes.

Carlie is the sweet, tender-hearted one of the group. The instant we got to our classroom for the first time she ran up to Justin, threw her arms around him, and said, "I am so happy you are my teacher! My name is Carlie!" and then went and sat down politely. I think Justin melted a little- she is going to have him wrapped around her little finger haha. Amy fights with Carlie. Carlie doesn't fight back. She goes in the corner and is sad. Kylie sticks up for Carlie. Kylie sticks up for Amy. Kylie is the buffer between Carlie and Amy. (Isn't that how it usually is with all girl relationships??)

It is already interesting to be with these young, precious souls. Each one has such a different personality. Amy is brave and talkative and likes to play and have fun. Kylie is reserved and takes a while to come out of her shell, but when she does, she is also very talkative and friendly. Carlie is shy and relaxed. She goes with the flow but also has big emotions. She is so sweet and kind. They already know so much about the gospel and have such sweet spirits about them. It's a challenge to help them grow and learn in the church at such a young age, but their minds are like sponges and they just sit and take it all in. I hope I will be a good teacher for them, but if I can't teach them anything, I hope they can at least feel the spirit with us and know how special they are in Heavenly Father's eyes. We got some really amazing little people in our class and I am really excited for this year. It's going to be challenging, rewarding, funny, tiring, uplifting, and a great blessing for us I think.

No comments:

The Divine Calling of Motherhood

It's late. I need to be in bed right now, but the pull to write is stronger than the pull of my night time meds, so .... here I am. T...