Tuesday, May 1, 2012

First Attempt... Success!

I have never made soup before. Ever. But we had a TON of broccoli left over from Justin's birthday party so I decided I would give broccoli cheese soup a try. Bada Bing Bada Boom! SUCCESS! I found a recipe on Pinterest, the easiest one I could find mind you, and it turned out awesome! (but next time I would cut the garlic and broccoli down a little more). Here's the recipe...
 Broccoli-Cheddar Soup:
 2 tablespoons butter
 1 small onion, finely diced
 1 stalk celery, finely diced
 3 cloves garlic, minced
 2 cups broccoli (about 4 small heads) cut into very small pieces (you want them to fit on a spoon)
 2 cups chicken stock
 2 cups milk
 1/2 cup flour
 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
 Salt and pepper

 Melt butter in a pot over medium heat, add onions and celery plus a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until soft. Add garlic, cook for another minute. Add broccoli, cook for one minute, then add the chicken stock and cover. Allow the broth to come to a boil, and cook until the broccoli is soft.

 Whisk together flour and milk until combined. Add this mixture to the pot, stirring gently. The soup will thicken (yay starch!) and once it's thick and creamy looking, add the grated cheddar. Salt and pepper to taste, serve with toast.
 --I Served with rolls, but next time I might try it in a bread bowl. I also saved a little cheese to sprinkle on top in each individual bowl--

 *Image from Google images*

No comments:

The Divine Calling of Motherhood

It's late. I need to be in bed right now, but the pull to write is stronger than the pull of my night time meds, so .... here I am. T...