Monday, April 30, 2012

The Wanderer

Thanks to my new job- I read. A lot. More. (I always read a lot, but now I read a lot a lot). And thanks to my new hubby, garage sales have become a weekly part of my life. And thanks to garage sale prices, my library has grown extensively. Woot woot for 25 cent books! Ahem. Anyway.... this is one of my quarter's worth finds. It's called 'The Wanderer' by Sharon Creech. If I find a Newberry book at a garage sale I automatically add it to my pile because chances are its going to be pretty good. When I started this book I was not so sure if I was going to like it. It definitely fits into the kid genre. However, by the end of it, I was in love! It's about a girl who goes sailing across the Atlantic ocean with her three uncles and two cousins (all boys) to see her grandpa who lives in England. During their adventure Sophie, the main character, learns a lot not only about herself, but about her family as well. She comes to find out where she fits in the world, where her place is. She also has to deal with some things in her past that she has been suppressing, but her cousins curiosity brings it all up again. Basically its a story of a girl who leaves the United States not really knowing who she is and lands in England with a better sense of self. I liked it. But you know that. If I didn't then I wouldn't be writing this blog would I? So go find out for yourself.

No comments:

The Divine Calling of Motherhood

It's late. I need to be in bed right now, but the pull to write is stronger than the pull of my night time meds, so .... here I am. T...