Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Harry vs Bella

Before I begin this rant let me first begin by saying that I have in fact read all of the Twilight books, and except for the last one, have seen all of the movies as well. I am not one of those ridiculous anti Twilight people who can't back up their hatred without first having an open mind and giving it a chance. Neither do I hate twilight. However, I do find myself becoming more and more irritated with how overrated these books and movies have become. Especially because for some strange reason that I will never in a million years be able to understand, Twilight is constantly being compared with Harry Potter. Whoever came up with this ridiculous comparison should probably go back to school and learn what good literature really is. So here is my own comparison of Harry Potter and the Twilight series, I think its time things were set straight. 1. J. K. Rowling is an amazing author. Stephanie Meyer is not. There are so many spelling errors, run on sentences, punctuation errors and grammatical mistakes in the Twilight series that it makes me question how these books were ever published. Dear Stephanie Meyer, fire your editor. They suck. 2. Every good book needs protagonist and antagonist characters, aka, heroes and heroins. In my opinion a hero is someone who is selfless, courageous, and someone who you can admire and respect. From Harry to Dumbledore, Hermione to Ron, Harry Potter is chock full of heroes and heroines who fight for what is right. Sure they all have their flaws, but that my friends is what we call a 'round character'. "The world isn't split into good people and Death Eaters. We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are." -Sirius Black- Can anyone name a character that fits that description in the Twilight books? I didn't think so. Is Bella supposed to be a hero? All of her actions are completely selfish. She is constantly putting those around her in danger. Is it because she had an arch enemy return that is not only trying to kill her but take everything that is good and pure from the world? No. Its so that she can be with her boyfriend. That's it. That's her only motive for risking the lives of the ones she loves. Not exactly what I would call a role model. And if that weren't enough how about the way she leads Jacob on. Or begs Edward to have sex with her. I could list many more examples, but I think you see my point. Bella is no hero. 3. Both of these series are categorized for young readers because they are 'coming of age' stories. So let me ask you a question.Would you rather have your teenagers reading the steamy sex scenes between Edward and Bella or the awkward first kiss of Harry and Cho? I think that's all I really need to say on that matter. 4. Love: a major theme of these series. The love story of Bella and Edward is a wonderful idea, in theory. A vampire, humans enemy, trying to be good and ending up falling in love with what should be his lunch. Rather a romantic idea right? But is it true love that these two feel for one another? Or just a horrible obsession? Bella literally cannot function without Edward, which just does not sound healthy to me. Is that what we want our children to think love is? Would we want our daughters to react like Bella the first time they got their hearts broken? Life is hard. Sometimes it just downright sucks. And hearts get broken sometimes. But you still have to go on living. "You're the weak one. Because you'll never know love. And I feel sorry for you." -Harry speaking to Voldemort- Harry's mother gave up her own life for her son. That love kept him safe. Its the love that Harry had for his friends that made him walk into the Forbidden Forest and sacrifice himself. Its the love that Snape had for Lilly that caused him to dedicate his life to help good triumph over evil. This is the kind of love that inspires, lifts, heals, and comforts. Its this kind of love that you would sacrifice your very life to even sample a small taste of. "Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all those who live without love." 5. Last but not least, I dare you to try and read Twilight and envoke as much emotion as when you read Harry Potter. You can't. The Twilight book doesn't have the Weasley twins to laugh with. The deaths of Sirius and Dumbledore to mourn. The awkward first dates, first kisses, and first relationships. The Death Eaters to pity. The Professor Umbridge to make you so mad you could spit. Or the Hagrid to love. "After all, there's no Hogwarts without you Hagrid." I rest my case.

No comments:

The Divine Calling of Motherhood

It's late. I need to be in bed right now, but the pull to write is stronger than the pull of my night time meds, so .... here I am. T...