Monday, March 21, 2011

Another Tale of Two Cities

This is a tale of two cities, Logan and Fruit Heights.

When I first moved to Logan in 2006 I would become really homesick and go to Fruit Heights almost every weekend. As my social life in Logan grew however, I would stay in Logan until the phone call would come from my mom begging me to come home because she missed me. Over the last year or so coming home to Fruit Heights grew increasingly harder to do. I loved Logan. I loved my friends there. I loved my life there. I never wanted to leave!

Just recently though, the longing pull from these two cities has once again changed. I have spent a lot of time over the last month in Fruit Heights. Every time I come I want to stay longer and longer and making the one hour drive back to Logan becomes more and more unappealing. I don't really know the reason for this change. All I know is that I'm sitting in Fruit Heights on a Monday, watching the clock as it ticks closer and closer to the time my class starts. My car is all packed up, but I find myself stalling to the very last possible second. I don't want to leave. I love it here. This feels more like home than my apartment in Logan. I feel so loved here and I don't want to leave my amazing family. Why don't I want to leave?

The funny thing is, is that as I was talking to my little brother today, I called Logan my home. So when I am in Fruit Heights, I tell my family that Logan is my home. But when I am in Logan, I tell my roommates that I am going home to Fruit Heights. Sometimes it feels confusing to have two homes, but at the same time, that is also a great blessing.

As I was writing I was thinking of the people in Japan who have no home. It feels selfish of me to have two. I feel so blessed to have two places on this Earth that I can call home. The meaning of the word home has taken on a whole new, deeper meaning for me. So even though my heart feels like it belongs in Fruit Heights, a part of it belongs in Logan as well. I don't know the point of this blog really. I guess all I'm trying to say, is that I'm thankful for my home(s).

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."
-Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities-

1 comment:

kenzis said...

We're ready for you to be back logan home!

The Divine Calling of Motherhood

It's late. I need to be in bed right now, but the pull to write is stronger than the pull of my night time meds, so .... here I am. T...