Friday, March 5, 2010

Moral Dilemma's Suck!


Every week in my Anthropology class we have an in-class discussion on assigned readings. For these discussions we meet in our groups and sign a paper letting the teacher know that we were there so she can give us our points for participating. After we meet with our small groups the class comes back together and talks about what we discussed. Many students leave before the class discussion however because they already have their name on the paper and will get credit for being there. I never do this however seeing as I not only supply the paper, but am the one to hand it in after class as well.
Well today when we came back together to talk about the discussion as a class my teacher asked that those of us who were responsible for turning in the paper, cross off the names of the people who just left so that they do not get credit for today's work. And thus the moral dilemma begins. Do I do what my teacher asks of me and stab my classmates in the back? Or am I dishonest and let them get away with sneaking out of class. Hmmmm.......
My teacher then went on to talk about the honor code, how it was not fair that they get the same points as us who stay, and that them leaving is them cheating. And of course, she was right, and a line went through two of my group member's names. I know it was the right thing to do, no question. But shoot dang! I am the one that has to face those people every week for the rest of the semester. They are going to know that I threw them underneath the bus when they get a big fat zero for the day's points. This is going to be so awkward!!!!
And at the same time, I am mad at them for putting me in this position in the first place! If they were just honest people then I would have never had the dilemma of either sticking up for them, or stabbing them in the back. Pooey!

Moral of the story is : Dishonest People Piss Me Off!

1 comment:

Kelsey Fairbanks said...

I'm glad you did the right thing. For a lot of schooling, especially at the college is level, you are in it only for yourself. You are going to class each day and spending thousands of dollars for those kids who slack off. They deserve to lose those points. They may confront you, and in that case, I would seriously go to your teacher. It's not fair to from your teacher either, if you take the heat from those kids. Yuck Kristi. I'm so sorry. Maybe for that class you should just take your moral compass off and go with our gut! haha!

The Divine Calling of Motherhood

It's late. I need to be in bed right now, but the pull to write is stronger than the pull of my night time meds, so .... here I am. T...