Sunday, February 7, 2010

22 Going on 90


On Thursday I was walking to my mailbox and slipped on some ice. No big deal right? I mean, this happens to me every year, because, let's face it, I am the biggest klutz in the world! And of course a cute boy was there to witness the fall. I mean, what would my life be like without a good dose of humiliation here and there??? My feet went out from under me sideways and I fell on my left side. I fell pretty hard but was more concerned about my pride than anything else. Well that and the gravel now encrusted into my palm. So I shook it off, went back into my apartment, and didn't think of it any further. Until the next morning that is.

I woke up in excruciating pain. My whole left side felt as if I had been hit with a baseball bat.My hip, thigh, and abdomen had some minor bruising, but nothing to concern me too much. My arm popped whenever I moved it and I wondered if I had maybe dislocated my shoulder or collar bone or something. I shrugged it off thinking that this is what I get for having fibromyalgia. I tried to carry on as normal, but I was just in so much pain! I finally cracked and took a lortab, something that I have not done in months! But the pain killer did not even phase me. Either I am completely immune, or the pain was beyond the med's capabilities to have an effect. Either way, I pretty much wanted to die.

Well, four days later, and I still am in so much pain! I think it might have actually gotten worse. Saturday night I went to close my car door with my left hand and cried out in pain. Today I was unloading the dishwasher and could not even lift a cup up to the cupboard. My roommate Emily had to help me open a can of pam and some orange juice. I can't lift my arm up at all, and it kind of just hangs by my side not functional whatsoever. Last night I couldn't find a comfortable position to sleep in without being in pure agony, and it pretty much took me all night to finally fall asleep. I think I finally drifted off at 7:30 am. I have tried standing, sitting, laying down, pretty much every position there is and nothing alleviates the pain in the slightest. Basically I am miserable. And all of this because of some stupid ice. I am like a ninety year old women I swear! I am surprised I didn't break a hip!

On Friday I have a doctor's appointment because I have been having some major toe issues. I know that sounds weird. Let me explain. For the past few weeks I have been experiencing the weirdest, most painful sensation in my toes. They feel like they are on fire. Like literally. It's very strange. It actually feels like I have stuck my toes in a fire. I just don't know how to explain it better than that. They get really hot and prickly and it hurts like hell. On the internet it says that this can be a symptom of naropathy, diabetes, or fibromyalgia. (All of which run heavily in my family). I hope it is just fibromyalgia, because, well, I already know I have that! Anyway, it said to see a doctor immediately if you experience this burning sensation because I guess it can be pretty serious sometimes. So seeing as I already have a doctor's appointment set up for that, I am going to wait until then to see if my shoulder gets any better. If not, I will ask him to look at that as well. I hope I can last until then.

It's kind of pathetic that I have all of these weird medical issues at such a young age. So yeah, I am a 22 year old going on the age of 90. Sheesh! My life is fun.

1 comment:

Kelsey Fairbanks said...

I think you just need a good dose of laughter. It's the best medicine! I'm sure it's just your fibromyalgia... nothing more serious. Good luck! Hey, ps I have a doctors appt on Friday, too! woot!

The Divine Calling of Motherhood

It's late. I need to be in bed right now, but the pull to write is stronger than the pull of my night time meds, so .... here I am. T...