Monday, October 5, 2009

The Labyrinth of FHE


Non grid system streets. Sigh. What a mess. Tonight we were having FHE at a bishoprics home in River Heights. Where is River Heights? Heck if I know?! Well, apparently River Heights is a hop skip and a jump away from Logan. Like literally, I could probably walk out my front door, and see some of that city. Cache Valley has so many unknown cities within it. Like Hyde Park. Who knew that was there? Anyway back to River Heights. Me and my roommate Emily had no idea where that was. Maybe we are naive. Maybe we are pathetic. I do not know. But we were having the hardest time. Our FHE pa had given us directions and had even called us as we were getting more and more lost and gave us more directions. Maybe he was bad at giving directions. Maybe we are bad at following his directions. But we were hopelessly lost. Some of the streets had numbers, some just had names. Most had dead ends. When it reached the half hour mark of trying, we had hit our frustration point. We agreed to not go, because we were embarassingly late, but try to keep finding it so that we didn't run into the same problem the next time we went to his house. We ended up not trying, but just driving aimlessly around wherever our hearts desired. We drove up and down one main road a dozen or so times. Taking different turns off of it, but always ending back on it again. Somehow. Finally, we decided to turn down the first turn on the main road. Why didn't we think of that one before? We were driving down that road for a bit, when the same road decided to change names. It changed from a name, to a number. Lo and behold! The name it decided to change to was the road we needed to be on! WE FOUND IT!!! And it only took ONE WHOLE HOUR! As we passed the house we could see into the front room where everyone was gathered. They were saying the closing prayer. Ha! We timed that perfectly. We turned around, and easily, way too easily, found our way home. As we were approaching our turn to go to our apartment, a pizza delivery car passed us. "Mmmm. Pizza sounds good." I said. We turned to each other, gave one another that pizza longing look, and drove right by that road to home and on to Little Ceasers. As we pigged out Emily introduced me to the movie "The Labyrinth" to honour our little trip through the "River Heights Maze". What a weird, bizarre, and totally hilarious show! And how amazing that tonight, a seemingly ordinary night, produced such a marvelous adventure! Now all I have to worry about is what I am going to say when I see my pa next.... Well Brett, I am dumb and cannot follow directions. Fortunately, we finally did find the house, but decided to not go in but get pizza instead! Hmmm... I wonder how he will take it? =)

No comments:

The Divine Calling of Motherhood

It's late. I need to be in bed right now, but the pull to write is stronger than the pull of my night time meds, so .... here I am. T...