Monday, February 1, 2016

Happy People Don't Shoot Their Husbands

If you are one of those people who get annoyed at people posting about going to the gym and their workouts, then you better skip this post. (And sorry/not sorry for two gym posts in a row.)

The other day we were scrambling to get breakfast, get dressed, and get out the door to the gym. It was one of those days that Leland decided to be a snail, and my mommy patience was running low... you know those days? Normally it would be cute that he wanted to name all of the colors in his cereal bowl instead of just eating it. Or that he had to count the light bulbs in our house. Or that we put the wrong shirt on him because the monster on it was too scary. So yeah. It took what like felt FOREVER to get out of the door.

As we were driving to the gym, I turned to Justin and said, "Sorry I lost my cool. I got in a bad mood this morning, but it will be better after my workout." And then it hit me, exercising makes me happy and in a better mood.


That day I did laps in the pool. There was a spot in the water where the sun was blazing down through the window, and I floated in it, and felt the warmth on my face, and it was pure joy. A taste of summer if you will. And I walked out of the gym happy. And I was happy to be a wife. And I was happy to be a mom to a little boy who noticed the world around him and wanted to point out every little thing to me and share in his excitement for the world.

So while I think I am exercising for myself, I am actually exercising for them. Because happy people don't shoot their husbands.

No comments:

The Divine Calling of Motherhood

It's late. I need to be in bed right now, but the pull to write is stronger than the pull of my night time meds, so .... here I am. T...