Monday, December 23, 2013

My Statement about Phil Robertson and Gay Rights



Thanks to Phil Robertson the issue of gay rights has once again spread itself all over the media and social networks. Phil’s name seems to be on everyone’s lips these days with everyone debating back and forth. In this blog post I would like to share my thoughts on the world’s reaction to Phil’s interview and to also, finally, share my belief about gay rights.

First I would like to state that Phil’s suspension is completely ridiculous. I do not believe that this is a gay rights issue whatsoever, but a freedom of speech one. It is completely unfair that someone asked what Phil’s personal beliefs are on an issue, and then attack him for his answer. If you don’t want to hear his truthful answer, don’t ask him the question in the first place. Secondly, the show Duck Dynasty is a reality TV show, which means it explores the beliefs and lifestyle of the Robertson family. They should not have to adjust their beliefs or lie to the media about them to appease the world. I for one am disappointed in the A&E network for not standing behind Phil and his right to express himself freely. And thirdly, Phil was not trying to force his beliefs on anyone. He was asked a question and he answered it honestly. He did not attack the LGBT community- he just stated his opinion. Phil Robertson said, "I myself am a product of the 60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior," he said. "My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together."However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other."

Phil stated that he would never treat anyone with disrespect because they are different from him. Doesn’t he deserve the same treatment in return? Doesn’t he have a right to believe what he wants? Because I sure as heck think so.

Next I would like to tell you what I believe about gay marriage, but to do so, I need to tell you a little about my religion and what we believe. You see, I believe that before we came to this Earth we all lived together in a pre-mortal life. While we were there, there was a great debate about how this world should be run. Two plans were presented to our Heavenly Father, one by Jesus Christ and the other by Satan. Satan wanted us to come to Earth and be forced to choose the right. Sin would not exist and so all of us would be saved. Jesus Christ’s plan was completely different. We would come to Earth and we could either choose to follow good or evil. Heavenly Father didn’t choose what plan He liked best, instead, He let His children choose for themselves. 1/3 of the people decided to follow Satan, the others decided to follow Jesus Christ. Majority ruled and Jesus Christ’s plan is how we run things on this Earth today. We had the right to choose for ourselves, clear back from the time when Adam and Eve were in the Garden of Eden when they had to choose to eat the forbidden fruit.

You may now be asking yourself what that story has to do with gay rights, am I right? Well folks, here it is. It is a little something that I like to call AGENCY. We have the God given right to choose for ourselves what we do with our lives and what we believe in. This includes choosing who we love and who we marry. Now, God may have the right to tell someone who they can love and marry, but I myself, being an insignificant human being, do not. I may believe that marriage is between a man and a woman, ordained of God, but I would NEVER force that belief on anyone else, or think less of them for believing differently than I do. I would NEVER bully, harass, or judge someone who is gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender. And I for one think that there is too much of that going around these days. I do believe in the commandment to love one another and I do believe, no, I KNOW that God loves EVERY SINGLE ONE of his children. The suicide rate among LGBT teenagers is shocking. It breaks my heart. It needs to stop. It is something that I feel very strongly about. So to sum things up: I am a Mormon. I believe in the Family, a Proclamation to the World. I believe that the LGBT community should be allowed to love and marry whoever they want to. I believe that the bullying needs to stop. And I KNOW that God loves you no matter what you believe.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Very well said!!!

Anonymous said...

My thoughts exactly. Thank you for articulating them so well!

The Divine Calling of Motherhood

It's late. I need to be in bed right now, but the pull to write is stronger than the pull of my night time meds, so .... here I am. T...