Saturday, September 7, 2013

Mommy Woes

I have three "Mommy Woes" on my mind right now. Let the venting blog commence....

Mommy Woe #1
Why does everyone and their dog ask me if I am breastfeeding? I have never, not once, felt the need to ask someone who just had a baby if they are breastfeeding their baby or not. Is it just me, or is it strange to talk to someone else about their boobs? Now don't get me wrong, I don't get mad or offended by the questions, so if you have asked me that (and you probably have because seriously EVERYONE has) don't sweat it. I don't care. I just think it is a little strange. And not so much from the women who ask me- because they have had kids and know how hard breastfeeding can be, or they are planning on having kids so want to know how hard breastfeeding is. No, I don't mind THEIR questions. It's mostly the STRANGERS and the MEN who ask me that I find very odd. Like the old man in my neighborhood. Wow, that was an awkward moment in my life. But the weirdest one of all was when we were eating at Merlin's in Bear Lake and Merlin himself came to talk to us and he asked me. When I said that I wasn't he was like, "What's the matter? Do your boobies hurt?" And I shouldn't have let him rial me up, but I did, so when I told him why I wasn't I  think he felt kind of bad. And for all of you curious people out there, the reason that I'm not (not that it is any of your business ha ha wink wink) is because Leland will NOT nurse. We have tried and tried but he gets way too frustrated and then I get frustrated and we both end up bawling. But I did want him to have my milk so I pump. And there ya go. Since I have talked to... um... I don't know... a MILLION people about my boobs I guess I'll just write a blog about them and let the rest of the world in on why I am not breastfeeding my baby.

Mommy Woe #2:
Justin and I have taken Leland out of the house a lot. I mean a lot, a lot in his short six weeks of life. He wasn't even two weeks old when we took him to the County  Fair. By the time he was five weeks old he had been to Bear Lake twice. He went to the library at five weeks. And when he was six weeks he went to his first football game and the Gossner's work party. And every time, and I do mean EVERY TIME, I take him out someone will ask me how old my baby is. And when I tell them.... Oh. My. Gosh. If looks could kill! It's almost ridiculous the amount of dirty looks I have gotten when I take my baby out in public. I realize that most people keep their babies in the house for the first few months and live like hermits. But I want my baby to have a good immune system thank you very much. And also, I would rather take him out now when it is still warm and hardly anyone is sick and there aren't that many germs, rather than later when it is cold and everyone is sick and the germs are everywhere. Goodness people are judgmental.And boy does everyone have an opinion on how I should raise my baby.

Mommy Woe #3:
When Leland was three weeks old we moved him into his crib and he seemed to sleep a lot better. Well, this week he has all of a sudden decided that he hates his crib with a fiery passion. I will feed him and he will be totally zonked out, but as soon as I lay him in the crib he starts screaming his head off. So because I am so tired that I couldn't give a rats ass about creating bad habits (pardon my French), I put him in bed with me. Yeah... that lasted about five minutes longer than the crib. So what does a tired mommy do next? Puts him in his swing where he immediately enters the blissful dream land. He has slept in his swing by my bed for the last four nights. So why is this a mommy woe? Because I secretly really do give a rats ass about creating bad habits and I'm worried that I just created one. That can't be good for his neck right? But he honestly will NOT sleep anywhere else! What's a mama to do? However, it could be worse. I had a lady tell me that she had to sleep in her car with her baby for four months because her daughter would only fall asleep in a moving vehicle. And she would scream if you took her out of her car seat or the car itself. So at least I am not sleeping in my car every night but in my own bed right?

Anyway, those are all of my Mommy Woes. Thanks for the vent sesh.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I had the same problem nursing with my first. I've since heard it happens a lot with first male children. And I say go for it about taking him out. No reason to stay Home. Yesterday we took Lily to an amusement park and she's only 4 weeks old. You just do what works for you and don't worry what others think or say. He's your baby and you know what's best for him and you.

The Divine Calling of Motherhood

It's late. I need to be in bed right now, but the pull to write is stronger than the pull of my night time meds, so .... here I am. T...