Sunday, December 16, 2012

Feminists


Many of you have probably heard about the LDS feminist group who have declared today as "wear pants to church day". You can watch this video if you don't know what I am talking about. This is one of the debates where I just have to throw my two cents in. And I must admit, that I think this is completely ridiculous.  Commenting on the dress code LDS spokesman Scott Trotter said in a statement: 'Attending church is about worship and learning to be followers of Jesus Christ.Generally church members are encouraged to wear their best clothing as a sign of respect for the Savior, but we don’t counsel people beyond that.' This feminist group is seriously making a big stink over nothing. NO ONE told them that they couldn't wear pants to church. As Latter Day Saints we are encouraged to wear our best clothing, and if pants are your best clothing, than that is absolutely fine. A coworker of mine told me that back east women wear pants to church all of the time and it's no big deal. Well guess what folks, it's not a big deal here either. So if it's no big deal, what are these women really after? Attention of course! Because that is what church is about right? While these women are wearing pants to church and are trying to make a point, possibly get some attention, and maybe even make a scene, I hope they remember the Savior and His perfect love that he has not only for them, but for everyone on this Earth. Sacrament Meeting is not a place to bring your "protests" but a place of worship and personal reflection. Let's keep the sacred things sacred people. 

Another "itch that I need to scratch" is something that Justin and I saw circulating around on the internet this last month. Maybe you have seen this.....

This quote has really gotten under my skin. I know that God has a plan and he DEFINITELY had a plan for this particular moment in time. So to say that women would have been better than the three wise men is completely sacrilegious to me. Yes, there are a lot of men in the nativity story. So is that why feminists are getting their panties in a bunch? Because what of Mary? Aside from Jesus Christ, she had one of the most important roles to play. She was entrusted with something so incredibly sacred, it almost always brings tears to my eyes. What an incredible, faithful, women she was. The only way that Jesus Christ could have been born was through a women. Not to mention that this quote highly discredits what type of men the three wise men were. I found this quote on lds.org, "Imagine traveling across the desert. The journey is long, your camel ride is bumpy, and you’re not even following a map! Instead, you follow a star. How would you feel? Would you have the faith to keep going? Two thousand years ago, the Wise Men did exactly that. They saw a brilliant star in the east and journeyed to Bethlehem to honor the Christchild with beautiful gifts."
These men were courageous, selfless, and incredibly faithful men. And I for one, feel like I have a lot to learn from them and would never wish in a million years that the story of Christ's humble birth were any different. 


No comments:

The Divine Calling of Motherhood

It's late. I need to be in bed right now, but the pull to write is stronger than the pull of my night time meds, so .... here I am. T...