Friday, June 22, 2012

Sweet Sixteen

Today is my baby brothers sweet sixteen. Happy birthday Zach! I can't believe how fast the time has gone. I still remember the day that Brother was born. Pa (my dad's dad) was babysitting us while my mom and dad went to an appointment. Pa then told us girls that my mom was having the baby, but I didn't believe him at first. Pa drove us to the hospital where we had a long boring wait. Then all of a sudden we heard my dad's excited shout echo through the hallways and we knew that Zach had arrived. My dad screamed because you see, for nine months, Zach was a Jill. I guess he had his legs crossed or something, but my parents were told time and time again that they were having another girl. But I knew it was a boy. I told my mom that I had prayed for a brother, I already had two sisters and I didn't need another one, and I was absolutely positive that it was a boy. My parents did everything in their power to convince me that I was getting another sister because they were worried at how disappointed I would be. And I did everything in MY power to convince THEM that it was a boy and was getting frustrated at them for not believing me.  Well, when I heard my dad's burst of excitement that day I knew that I had been right. My mom later told us that when the doctor told them it was a boy she got mad at the doctor for teasing my dad like that. She wasn't convinced it was a boy until they actually held him up and showed her. Both of my parents were in shock and realized that all the girl stuff they had was just not going to work. By the next day the hospital room was full of Denver Broncos memorabilia, bats, balls, trucks, and lots of other boys toys, most of which Zach wouldn't even be able to use for a few years.  


Today Zach has grown into quite the remarkable young man! He is 6 ft 4 in (I think, I swear he grows every time I see him). He plays football for Davis and his muscles are ginormous, he'll flex them for you, you probably won't even have to ask. He is also quite accomplished in the peck dance, he especially loves doing it when he hugs you cause your head bounces up and down. And in case you couldn't tell already, he has a sense of humor that will keep you rolling on the floor with laughter for hours and hours. Our family is definitely blessed to have Brother. I'm glad Heavenly Father answered a nine year old girls prayer sixteen years ago and gave her a Zach and not a Jill. 

No comments:

The Divine Calling of Motherhood

It's late. I need to be in bed right now, but the pull to write is stronger than the pull of my night time meds, so .... here I am. T...