Sunday, September 3, 2017

Thirty. Nerdy. And thriving.

I just turned thirty. That demands some serious self reflection. My twenties were wonderful and awful and everything in between. I went to college. I dropped out of college. I worked at more jobs then I would care to admit. I lived with over 30 roommates- some I am fine with never seeing again, and some I know I will see for the rest of my life. I've had friends come in the best ways, and friends go in the worst ways. I got married. I bought a house. I had two beautiful babies. I've lost family members to old age, cancer, and suicide. Most importantly though, I discovered who I was and who I want to be. It was my time to grow into adulthood.

I wanted to do something epic for my thirtieth birthday. I decided to give myself something I've wanted for over ten years, but fear held me back. I got a tattoo. Would you like to know the only reason of why I didn't get it sooner? Because I was too damn scared of what other people would think of me. Ridiculous right? But you see- I'm the goody good, "Molly Mormon", never put a toe over the line kind of person. I don't take risks. I play it safe. I don't do anything remotely out of the ordinary. I live a simple, pure, clean life. Heck, I've never even seen a R-rated movie!! So this is SO UNLIKE ME!! But I wanted this. I wanted it so badly. I've come to realize that living a life full of fear of what others will think about me is not really living. Also, it doesn't matter what you do- you're bound to piss someone off by doing it! One of the wisest men I know, Dr. Seuss, said it best- "Be who you are and say what you feel. Because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter." Amen Dr. Seuss, Amen!




Story behind my tattoo for anyone interested: If you have had any sort of interaction with me whatsoever you know that I am ridiculously obsessed with Harry Potter. I am part of the Harry Potter generation. I read the first book as a pre-teen, and went to the last movie in my mid-twenties. I grew up right alongside Harry, Ron, and Hermione. I can go on and on and ON about my obsession, but I will spare you all the nerdy details. (spoiler alert) In the very last book Dumbeldore is talking to Snape and is surprised to learn that Snape still loves Lilly (Harry's deceased mother). Dumbledore asks Snape, "After all this time?" and Snape replies, "Always".  The word is made even more special by the late Alan Rickman, who played Severus Snape. He said, "When I am in my eighties I'll be sitting in my rocking chair reading Harry Potter. My grandchildren will ask me, "After all this time?" To which I will reply, "Always." Always is how I feel about this series. I will always love it. I will always cherish it. I will always be grateful for it. I want to always be brave like Harry. Always be loyal like Ron. Always be smart like Hermione. Always be kind like Luna. Always be determined like Neville. Always be hopeful like Ginny. Always.

No comments:

The Divine Calling of Motherhood

It's late. I need to be in bed right now, but the pull to write is stronger than the pull of my night time meds, so .... here I am. T...