Monday, October 1, 2012

Hotel Wisdom

It is officially my last week in the hotel business. Whew. I survived. My last day is on Friday and I am finding this chapter ending in my life more sweet than bitter. True I have only worked in the hotel biz for a few months, but I have picked up some wisdom along the way that I would like to share now.

-- Just remember that hotels.com, expedia, travelocity, etc are third party companies. So if you book through them, you are paying for a third party and chances are that if you just call the hotel directly you will end up getting a better deal. Don't be scared to ask what the best deal they can give you is. If it's not a sold out night they are probably willing to go pretty cheap to fill a room. 

--Do NOT use the comforter on the bed. EW! My advice, trust the sheets but bring your own blanket!

-- Please remember that the people at the front desk are the go betweens. They are the people that hear all of the complaints and then have to go tell the people whose fault it actually is, like housekeeping. No one likes to hear bad news, but they don't like to be the bearer of bad news either. So be patient with them.  And keep in mind that most things that can go wrong in a hotel are out of their control. And also, they have free stuff! Restaurants give the front desk tons of coupons and great deals, something they are more likely to share with you if you are NICE. 

-- Don't treat hotels like Google. It annoys them if you call them when you aren't even a guest and ask them about random things. Now to be clear, I am not talking about asking them about the town, directions, or anything having to do with them. Some examples: I had a guy call and ask about the Comfort Inn in Virginia! What the?! I also had someone call and ask where Daggett County was. Sorry, but I learned my counties when I was 10 and I must have forgot that one because I have NO idea! All I know is that its not next to Cache County so STOP calling me! 

-- If you travel to another country, don't get mad when the front desk speaks their native tongue and NOT yours. It's not their fault they can't understand a word you are saying. My advice, download the translation app. (Yes. There's an app for that) ;)

-- Just because you are not at home, doesn't mean you have the right to trash the place.

-- No smoking means NO SMOKING! So don't be surprised when you are charged a fine after they find the cigarettes in your toilet. 

-- Obey the rules of the hotel. There are rules for pets, quiet hours, and pool hours for a reason. And no, that reason is not to make your life miserable!

-- Tips to the front desk are so so appreciated! Especially if they go above and beyond- show them a little gratitude. Guess what folks? They get paid crap so that YOU can have a cheap room. True story! (Same goes for housekeeping. Those gals work their butts off!)

-- You get what you pay for. Don't expect to go to a two star hotel and get six star accommodations. It aint gonna happen! 

-- And last, but certainly not least, if you really feel like something is not right. Complain! But complain to the manager. My life would have been so much easier if people would have told my manager the problems about my coworkers rather than to me. There are some things that managers just need to know so that it doesn't happen over and over. Comment Cards--> USE THEM!.

No comments:

The Divine Calling of Motherhood

It's late. I need to be in bed right now, but the pull to write is stronger than the pull of my night time meds, so .... here I am. T...