Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day

When I was little the Paulsens (my mom's side of the family) would all come up to Logan and have a major BBQ and play outdoorsy games every Memorial Day at the Merlin Olsen Park. Then due to the family growing up and apart the tradition kind of died. It was pretty sad. Well last year they reintroduced this long lost tradition of ours, but unfortunately I was not able to go. This year however, I went and it was a total blast! We had a giant BBQ with extremely yummy food. Then everyone joined in a huge game of baseball with almost 20 people playing. It was such a riot. I haven't played a baseball game like that in a long, long time! And our team totally kicked trash of course!
This was my team:
Me
Justin
Jessica (sister)
Chris (uncle)
Ron (cousin)
Brian (cousin)
Hannah (cousin)
Kanyon (cousin)
Jerico (2nd cousin)
Heather (cousin)

(That was strictly for journaling purposes so thanks for bearing with me.) But seriously, our team was rockin! And the Paulsens are known for their competitive spirit so it was an intense game, we were ticking off some people on the other team for sure haha. After the baseball game a big volleyball game started but I got to talking to some cousins that I haven't seen in a while so I kind of missed the boat on that game. I wasn't too disappointed though because I rarely get to talk to these cousins on a one on one basis so it was a lot of fun.

After the park some of us drove up to the Logan cemetery to see the graves of my great grandparents and great-great grandparents. Justin also showed me his grandparents graves. And guess who we ran into there? None other than one of my best friends from elementary, jr. high, and high school, Miss Cami Thornton! Oh wait. Never mind. Her name is MRS. Cami BERRY now. When you know someone that long their name change never really sticks. Ah-hem. ANYWAY. Small world right? You would think with Justin and Cami being in our ward we would see more of them, but we don't really get to talk to them much. It was kind of fun being able to chat with those two for a bit, even if it was in a cemetery haha.

After the cemetery visit my mom, Jess, Kylie, Justin, and I went to Aggie Ice Cream. YUM! I got my favorite flavor, caramel cashew, and it was pure heaven! I need to get more Aggie Ice Cream I've decided. It's good for the soul.

So after all of that fun-ness, Justin and I went to his parents house for another BBQ with his family. Sadly my sweet Tenley was not there, but it was still a lot of fun.

So this Memorial Day was pretty much epic. Great company. Great food. Great memories made. And a very great baseball game won. This is definitely one of those traditions that I hope doesn't die out again!


No comments:

The Divine Calling of Motherhood

It's late. I need to be in bed right now, but the pull to write is stronger than the pull of my night time meds, so .... here I am. T...