Saturday, November 27, 2010

Gratitude Attitude


This is that Thanksgiving post. The one where I write about every little detail of my Thanksgiving break. It's mostly a journal entry, so will most likely be boring. I won't be offended if you don't make it through it, so don't feel bad.

On Tuesday I was supposed to work until four, but my boss let us close shop up at two because of the highly overrated 'blizzard'. I am not complaining in the slightest that the news people caused unnecessary panic. I am thankful for anything that gets me out of work two hours early! After work I rushed home, went into a packing frenzy and got the heck out of Logan before I got 'snowed in'. (Yes, I was one of those gullibles that believe everything the news people were telling us. Don't believe everything you hear = lesson learned!) :)

Wednesday afternoon we, my whole family plus Grandpa, drove down to Richfield to spend the holiday at my Aunt Cathy's house. We stopped to eat dinner in Nephi. The restaurant was decorated way cute, but the food was only so-so. When we got to Richfield we dropped Grandpa off at the house, said hello to everyone, then went to our hotel room. That night Jessica, Cassie, Zach, and I went hot tubbing with our cousin Tyler and our Uncle Chris. The hot tub was amazing after being in the negative 15 degree weather. Dude, it was cold down there!

Thursday morning we packed up, checked out of our hotel, and headed back to the Stringham house. We helped prepare dinner while watching the parade in the background. Dinner was pretty much amazing. I just love to eat! After dinner we cleaned up and kind of dispersed into different areas of the house. Most of the younger cousins... plus me and Cassie.... ended up in the living room away from all of the old people. It was fun to spend some time with my Paulsen cousins because I don't get to see them very often.

We did not miss out on the greatest tradition ever invented: The Turkey Run. The Turkey Run is a Paulsen Family invention, and it is pretty much amazing. Basically we thank the turkey for providing us with food by giving it one last flight. We tie the carcass to a broomstick, and run it around the yard. It's hilarious. This year we had two turkeys so it was a race. Sadly, my team lost, but it wasn't our fault. Our turkey fell off the stick so basically we were sabotaged! I just love this tradition with my whole heart, it's pretty fantastic!

The Stringham family made a "thankful tree'. It was so cute. They made paper leaves that everyone wrote what they were thankful for and then hung them on the tree. My leaf said:
The Church
Family
Friends
College
Buzz (my car)
Reeses
Harry Potter
We read the leaves out loud and it was neat to be reminded of all of the many blessings we have. After the thankful leaf reading somehow a game of hot pumpkin started. My family is crazy, but I totally love it. Hot pumpkin is another form of hot potato but you know, with a pumpkin. We had four or five pumpkins making their way around the circle and whenever the music would stop, whoever was holding the pumpkin would get sprayed with a squirt gun. I was sitting next to my cheater cousin Debbie who would be holding it when the music would stop and then throw it into my lap. Basically I got soaked. It was super funny. After that we had pie and then my family decided to leave because we had such a long drive. It was a good and fun Thanksgiving.

Thursday night Cassie invited me to have a sleepover in Provo with her. It was a lot of fun. We ended up going to Harry Potter again (my third time her second). And in the morning she bought me the most delicious heavenly french toast from Kneaders. Yummmm! If you haven't gotten french toast from Kneaders your life is not complete! After breakfast we went back to bed for a while, woke up, got ready, and met the rest of our fam at the fashion place mall in SLC. We walked around the mall, did a little shopping, and got plenty of Christmas gift ideas for one another. I got some desperately needed winter boots from American Eagle. I am not a big boot fan, but I really do like these! It's like my feet are floating on a cloud haha.

After shopping we went out to eat at Olive Garden and then to the movie Megamind. bahahaha that movie is freaking hilarious! Seriously. You HAVE to see it! I loved it!

I drove back to Logan that night. It took longer than expected seeing as I locked the keys in my car at the gas station in Brigham City. I had to get road side assistance to help me out, costing me a whopping 50 bucks. I was not happy about this. However while I was waiting for them to come rescue me I walked to the Walmart and looked at their black friday movie deals. I ended up getting a season of Punky Brewster and the movies Overboard, Raising Helen, and The Santa Clause for pretty cheap. Finding good movie deals always puts me in a good mood so I was relatively happy even though my predicament. haha. But I finally did make it back to Logan just fine so no worries.

Today I had to work the morning shift and I picked up a shift tomorrow too. It was a good break, I definitely needed it.

2 comments:

Kelsey Fairbanks said...

I'm so going to do some of your traditions! Especially the turkey run! I can't wait to see HP again... it was SO GOOD!

Maddie said...

i think the blizzard was mostly along the idaho/utah border, because we almost didn't get to boise, but south of logan didn't get it too bad. Glad you had a good holiday and getting out of work is AWESOME!

The Divine Calling of Motherhood

It's late. I need to be in bed right now, but the pull to write is stronger than the pull of my night time meds, so .... here I am. T...