Sunday, December 6, 2009

I'm A Poet and I didn't Even Know It!!!

This last Thursday was my last day of school in the wonderful fall semester of the year 2009. Boo-Frickin-Yeah! In my poetry class on that day we had a final, which, not gonna lie, I felt completely unprepared for. Fortunately I thought it went rather well as it was entirely essay format and, let's face it, I rock at writing essays! I am one of the best B.S.'ers on the planet, not even joking. As the exam was coming to an end however, my professor announces to the whole classroom that he would like Kristi Wright to stay after class because he has something very important to talk to her about. . . . . Uh-oh. What did I do? He sounded so serious. My poetry professor looks like Mr. Clean, to the tee! He is big and bald and VERY intimidating! I mean, he's even got the stache and everything. Needless to say, I started panicking. I started questioning what he could possibly want to talk to me about on the last day? I worried that I had failed the class and wasn't getting credit or something like that. What else could it be?! As the class was filing out, handing in their papers, I stood in the back very awkwardly. It felt like it took forever for everyone to leave. As the final person closed the door, I walk to my professors desk. I see lying on his desk a poem I had written for one of our assignments, and all of a sudden become very confused. My professor gets a huge smile on his face, and tells me that the poem I had written was his favorite of the entire classes. He then takes the time to go through each line with me and compliments me on different things I had done. And here is the big shocker! - He says to me, "Kristi. This is a very good poem. And you are a very talented writer. I strongly suggest that you enter this into the poetry contest that the school is having next semester. I think you have a really good shot at doing very well with this poem." - - - WHAT??!!! I was completely floored. Like literally. Glued. To. The. Floor. This is not what I was expecting at all! I have never written poetry in my entire life unless it was for school. What a compliment! I was so touched. There is no way I would ever enter that poem into a contest, but it felt really good to be complimented by a college poetry professor on a poem that I had written!

There have been a few very similar experiences with my other teachers this year. They tell me I am good at English. And I am. And it feels good to be good at something. Especially because more often than not, I am screwing up in every other aspect of my life. Sometimes, .... well, most times, I feel like an eternal- screw up. But when I am in my English classes, I never do. It seems like I just can't get things right in life. Like whatever I do, it will never be enough. But in English... Well, in English I have gotten it down. And it IS enough. And DANG! That feels good!


Anyway, maybe this eternal-screw up has potential after all. =)

1 comment:

Kelsey Fairbanks said...

Kristi! That is great! You should definitely enter it... what's the worst that can happen... you win an award?! You should post it on here so I can read it! And Kristi, you are not a screw up. You are good at many things, you just don't know it. You are a very good friend, and a spiritual influence to me. You are good at drawing... no you really are... that class we took was dumb and the teacher was retarded. You are very intellectual. English is definitely your forte. You have an infectious laugh, and you can make anyone smile. You are a great leader, and teacher. I feel so grateful to know you and have you as a friend in my life. I know that you will go far in life, and last time I checked, screw ups don't go far. I love you so much! Congrats again on the poem... and I wasn't kidding about posting it... ;)

The Divine Calling of Motherhood

It's late. I need to be in bed right now, but the pull to write is stronger than the pull of my night time meds, so .... here I am. T...